Friday, November 25, 2011

A reminder of gratitude and the Mass

The knock down and drag out of "black" Thursday/Friday shopping may have swept all thoughts of turkey, family, football and Thanksgiving from some. I was so excited when I woke up at 4:30am- to realize I could go back to sleep and no alarm was going to wake me for once. Well, actually one did, but she was really cute and is so...perky in the morning.

We went to mass and I admit I did reflect a bit on the fact that there is just one more mass with the old translation. In his homily, father touched on the idea of thanks and our complaints about every day life, the portion of the cross gifted to us. He made the point that lack of thanksgiving for a goodness gifted to us is ingratitute. I am blessed that it does not happen often, but since December of last year, I have attended some masses (yes OF) that were not my choice of Sunday or Holy Day mass but it was that or no mass. Yes they were blithly unaware of the Introit, Offeratory and Communion antiphons and it was hard to ignore the guitars or 70's hyms, but still, I was able to attend mass and receive Jesus. No one stopped us or shot at us or broke into the church while we were there to assault us. The new translation will not be any type of miracle cure-all, but it is a step. Step by step and brick by brick. So I will try to continue to be totally and completely grateful that Jesus called me to the church He founded and that I can receive Him in the Blessed Sacrament. And I will continue to try to silence the critical internal voice and to pray and work as a foot soldier to help promote the chant and Latin that Vatican II intended to perserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment